The following is the third part of a series in which I’m illustrating the failed presidency of Barack Obama. According to an article in townhall.com, dated August 9, 2014, the president got the following things wrong.
- The Justice Department failed to pursue a voter intimidation case against members of the New Black Panthers because they were liberal blacks. Former DOJ official, J. Christian Adams quit over the case and accused his former employer of instructing attorneys in the civil rights division to ignore cases that involve black defendants and white victims.
- George W. Bush quit playing golf in 2003 because he didn’t want the mothers of fallen soldiers to see the Commander-in-Chief playing golf. He also said he thought playing golf during a war sent the wrong signal to the American people. Through June 2014, Obama was up to 177 rounds and is on pace to play twice as much in his second term as in his first term.
- After promising to unite America when he was running for office in 2008, Obama has been the most hyper-partisan president in decades.
- Despite the fact that Barack Obama claimed to believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman when he was running for president in 2008, his Department of Justice asked states attorney generals to refuse to defend their states’ bans on gay marriage in court.
- He’s responsible for the dumbing down our education system with Common Core.
- We first landed on the moon in 2969, but because of Obama, we’re no longer even capable of space travel.
- Barack Obama engaged in an illegal war in Libya without the permission of Congress that helped turn that country into an unstable basket case run by radical Islamists. How bad is it? America, Libyans, and the rest of the world were better off with Gaddafi in charge.
- Radical Islamist Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan described himself as mujahedeen and yelled Allahu Akbar as he murdered 13 of his fellow soldiers at Fort Hood. The Obama Administration labeled that as “workplace violence” rather than admitting there was a terrorist attack on his watch.
- He released 5 Taliban terrorists in exchange for deserter Bowe Bergdahl.
- Russia annexed Crimea while Obama did nothing of consequence to discourage it from invading. That’s not a surprise for a president who is fond of throwing out “red lines” that don’t mean anything.
- Barack Obama unilaterally implemented the DREAM Act that Congress didn’t pass and illegally handed out work permits to illegal aliens.
- The fence on our southern border was supposed to be completed by 2009. The Obama Administration has made it clear that it doesn’t intend to finish it during his presidency.
- For all practical purposes, Barack Obama has already unilaterally implemented amnesty in America because at least 99.92% of illegal immigrants and visa overstays without known crimes on their records aren’t being deported.
As of November 2016, Barack Obama had issued 263 executive orders with at least 35 of them dealing with climate change, energy, or the environment, according to insideclimatenews.org.
On Tuesday, December 20, 2016, Barack Obama moved to indefinitely block drilling in vast swaths of U.S. waters, according to cnbc.com. In invoking this action, the president used a 1953 law that governs offshore leases. This law allows a president to withdraw any currently unleased lands in the Outer Continental Shelf from future lease sales. Because there is no provision in the law which would allow a president’s successor to repeal the decision, President-elect Trump would not be able to easily undo the action. This could be challenged in the courts, but would probably be tied up there throughout much of Trump’s first term. The Republican -controlled Congress could also try to change the law.
Also, according to cnbc.com, the provision contained in the 1953 Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, has been invoked in the past to set aside smaller portions of the Outer Continental Shelf, such as coral reefs or natural habitats. Presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton used the provision to block drilling in much of the Outer Continental Shelf, but for limited periods. Thus, the Obama administration’s action marks the broadest use of the statute ever because it would be far-reaching in terms of the lands it would protect and come without an expiration.
On December 29, 2016, Breitbart reported that President Barack Obama had decreed two more national monuments while at his vacation home in Hawaii, taking 1.65 million more acres of western land for management by the federal government.
The new Bear Ears Buttes monument includes 1.35 million acres of Utah and the Gold Butte monument includes about 300,000 acres in Nevada. That makes a total of 535 million acres of national lands and waters that Obama has repurposed for conservation and protection using the 1906 Antiquities Act, more than any other president, according to the New York Times. More than 80 percent of Nevada and about 65% of Utah is owned by the federal government, according to National Public Radio.
Obama has used his power to create 29 separate national monuments using the Antiquities Act, but the Washington Post has reported that he is expected to create one or two more in order to match or beat Franklin E. Roosevelt’s record of 30 designations.
It should be obvious to any American that Barack Obama is not and has not ever been interested in insuring that the United States remains an exceptional nation. In fact, with his many actions, one can come to the conclusion that his goals as president of the United States were to either weaken or outright destroy the country. And he came very close to doing just that.